6 amazing Magento 2 features
6 amazing Magento 2 features:
Magento is a leading e-commerce solution for many businesses around the world. With over 4 million downloads worldwide you can understand why we take it as seriously as we do. As many of you know, the new Magento update is now officially out (Magento 2.0)! It’s packed with some awesome features and our expert Magento developers are really excited to be working with it. In celebration of the new release, here are 6 amazing Magento 2 features:
New File Structure:
Magento 2.0s file structure has been completely changed. Base themes are no longer existent; all the base views can be located in the module structure. This means that it is a lot easier for developers to create custom Magento themes, as they now face fewer issues.
This is a great follow on from my last article regarding Magento security. Magento 2.0 is a lot safer as there is a new directory (- ‘pub’). This enables developers to protect the website’s code from different security breaches.
Improved general performance and scalability:
Here some of the performance and scalability improvements –
- Varnish: Magento 2 is now integrated with Varnish Cache, this helps in reducing server load time and makes the page load time faster.
- Magento performance toolkit: Test environments are important for verifying/optimising system performance. With that being said, Magento 2.0’s new set of performance test scripts allows one to test environments and code changes which is a good feature for developers.
- Improved indexers: The brand new default indexers in Magento 2.0 include all of the functionality as in the previous enterprise versions. The difference is that they come with more efficient updates and have been improved to speed up overall performance.
- Full page caching: Now that Magento 2.0 has full page caching, this means your overall performance is increased and the server load time is reduced significantly.
- Multiple admin users: Magento 2.0 allows multiple administrators to create/edit products without errors.
Improved user experience:
The backend UI has now been improved. The following is a screenshot taken from the Magento dashboard:
To get a better idea of what it looks like, here’s a YouTube video!
If you’d like to see the specifications for Magento 2.0, here they are:
|Magento 1.9||Magento 2|
Reduced upgrade costs and upgrades:
As you know with any Magento software/extension comes continuous upgrades. As pesky as these upgrades are, they are necessary for your website to run as smoothly as possible. With Magento 2.0 upgrades will now be a lot easier.
- Upgrade to new version: To help Magento developers prepare for any future Magento upgrades, Magento 2.0 includes information on versioning policies and upgrade compatibility.
- Install Magento: With help from the new standalone installer, installing Magento 2.0 will be much faster. This tool checks for prerequisites before commencing with the installation.
Important note: Any customisations made to themes/extensions on your current Magento version can’t be transferred over to the new Magento 2.0. They will need to be re-created and re-configured.
Overall, Magento 2.0 comes packed with brand new features. What I’ve gone over covers some of the main features that come with the new upgrade, however there are still a few other features which you will definitely benefit from. If you’re looking to upgrade to Magento 2.0, we’re taking on new clients so simply fill e-mail Matthew at Matthew@wow-zone.com or give us a call on 0121 285 110!