Title Image


Are you a Shepherd or a Sheep?

Are you a shepherd or a sheep? – #inthezone 48

Are you a shepherd or a sheep?

Since our last #inthezone, the world has quietened down. No more headlines talking about how Trump may possibly ruin the country or how Toblerone has been reduced in quantity due to post Brexit implications…

No Post Brexit exit strategy?!

Speaking of post Brexit implications, apparently, we don’t even have an exit strategy.

Early this week a memo was leaked to the public which was only meant for “internal audiences”.

I’m not too keen on politics and tend to think it’s just a massive comedy show. In light of that, please enjoy the following image making fun of the whole situation.

#BlackFriday! ⚫️

In fact, it turns out I find many “serious” things funny. Like the thought of shoppers shoving each other on a Friday to save £100 on a TV (or something of similar nature).

Black Friday presents great opportunities for businesses (both commerce and ecommerce alike), however, people tend to take things too far!

Don’t get me wrong, like I said above Black Friday CAN be a good thing, provided you aren’t harmed whist looking for great deals on a sofa or something…

If you’re in ecommerce, you NEED to read my article about Black Friday and how your business can take advantage.

Prepare your ecommerce website for Black Friday

Bamboo Zone 🌱

In consideration of this, there is also going to be a great amount of free knowledge over on our Facebook group (PS there is no bamboo emoji)!

Are you an SME:

  • With limited knowledge of digital marketing?
  • Seeking advice from the experts?
  • Looking for new business connections?

If you’re a committed learner then request your space to join Bamboo Zone (click the flyer below & join)!

Bamboo Zone Flyer

Asch Paradigm 📜

As well as “talkers” and “doers”, there are also two other types of people in business. These are, of course, sheep and shepherds.

Asch’s paradigm took place in 1951 but it is still as relevant as ever.

In the study, there were 7 dummy participants alongside 1 real one. The dummy participants were told to give obvious wrong answers to see if the others would conform.

Asch asked each person to compare the line on the left with the 3 lines on the right and shout out the correct answer.

Asch's Paradigm
Despite the obvious answer being C, about one third (32%) of the participants who were placed in this situation went along and conformed with the clearly incorrect majority on the critical trials.

This was repeated over 12 critical trials.

Around 75% of participants conformed at least once and the remaining 25% of participants never conformed.

After the study, the real participants were interviewed and most of them said they didn’t believe their conforming answers, but still gave them as they were in fear of being ridiculed.

A few of them changed their answers because they trusted the group more than their own answer…

These facts are disastrous because it makes me think, how many people in business are doing the same thing?

The two lessons here are –

  1. Don’t hesitate to do the right thing in fear of being ridiculed
  2. Trust your knowledge over the opinion of other sheep

Are you a shepherd or a sheep?

Qasim Majid About the author
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Tap to Call